Re: [Axiom-developer] pamphlet support on MathAction

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] pamphlet support on MathAction
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:28:26 +0000

Dear B & B,

Bob McElrath writes:
 > Bill Page address@hidden wrote:
 > > Martin,
 > >
 > > I am sorry that I do not have anything integrated with MathAction yet. I
 > > ran into a few problems with my modifications of the l2h (latex to html)
 > > noweave -filter and am still making changes to fix this before adding it
 > > to LatexWiki.

I do understand now that it is indeed a major effort. In fact, I was quite
astonished about your approach: I would have added a "pamphlet" style that
accepts pamphlet files only, generates the latex via the document command, then
the html via l2h or latex2html or hevea or whatever. (hevea would be an
especially nice option: the pictures take a long time to load)

So, in short, I think that Bob's approach is the one to go. By the way: also
the dollar-sign poses problems in StructuredText+LaTeX and has to be escaped in
single-quoted text...

 > I have decided on the following "new" pagetypes:
 >
 >     o stx + latex -- cannot contain html, latex is "higher-priority" so that
 >     e.g. [$a$] is a wiki link with an equation and $[a]$ is an equation with
 >     brackets in it (and not a wikilink).  There will also be a backend which
 >     renders mini-latex (below) to generate printable (ps/pdf) output.

What's stx?

 >     o latex -- true latex, will be passed to latex2html or tth for the
 >     web, pdflatex for printable output.

I would like to have another pagestyle:

       o pamphlet, which is passed through document, then latex2html or
       whatever. Note that it is important that pamphlet file writers cannot
       use StructuredText stuff or WikiLinks: The pamphlet files need to
       generate standalone dvi, ps and pdf, too. Thus, an author who wishes to
       refer to other files should use hyperref! I suspect that hyperref and
       latex2html work together nicely.

I don't see any point in mixing html and latex.

 > The hyperref and
 > "hypextra":http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/~newbury/manual/hypextra.html
 > packages allow one to embed HTML in latex but require latex-style tags like
 > \htmladdimg.  (see also tex4ht)

Ah I didn't know that. So, if you must, you can.

Thanks again for all your work! I suspect that without you the Axiom community
wouldn't be anywhere close to to where it is now!

Martin