Re: [Axiom-developer] CVS, Arch, Darcs / bounties

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] CVS, Arch, Darcs / bounties
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:23:32 -0800

root address@hidden wrote:
> i did discuss support of axiom with the NSF thru grants and the
> response is "if there is a commercial product in the area then there
> won't be any grant money". so as long as maple and mathematica exist
> the NSF won't give grants for axiom research and development.

That is very unfortunate.  Very shortsighted.  The whole point of open
source in this regard is future-proofing, for the case when the
commercial entities collapse, or make decisions that are not in our
favor.  e.g. how long can both Maple and Mathematica both be
financially viable?  Sooner or later, *every* company falls on hard
times.  It's already happened to Axiom and Maxima, which will be next?

Money could come for specific purposes in other fields (e.g. QFT, CFD,
-- not specifically "computer algebra").  One would have to make a
strong case that the open source solution is better.  Problem is, one
can make a pretty strong argument that existing source release by
research groups is "working" and/or "good enough".

Small grants from universities may be easier, since they can directly
involve students at that university.  But there you run into the "why
not just give someone an RA/TA" argument.

> re: the current state and list of proposed work see:
> http://axiom.axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/currentstate.html
> which is reasonably up to date.

You are doing so much work...I wish it were more transparent.  Arch will
help.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the
    votes." -- Joseph Stalin