[Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-math] (no subject)

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-math] (no subject)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:39:51 -0500

> I obtained the assistance of some Linux experts and we managed to
> compile the axiom source code on a suse linux 9.1 machine in
> about 2 hours, after a small modification to the makefile.

Please do the following:

  copy the original Makefile as Makefile.org
  copy the new Makefile as Makefile.new
  diff -Naur Makefile.org Makefile.new >Makefile.patch

and send me the patch file.

> We then compiled the source code on my older suse linux 7.2
> computer (with gcc version 2.95.3), and this took more than 5 hours (left
> to run overnight). Strangely, the above-mentioned  change to the
> makefile did not work, and we had to revert to the original makefile.

curious.

> I havent quite completed the install steps, etc, and am currently
> running axiom from my user directory using an alias to the axiom file:
> /usr/local/src/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/axiom

Generally what I do is the following (as root):

cd /usr/local/bin
echo 'export AXIOM=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/linux' >axiom
echo 'export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH' >>axiom
echo '/usr/local/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/axiom' >>axiom
chmod a+x axiom

That sets up an axiom command and also presets the AXIOM and PATH
shell variables. Be sure to use single quotes with the above otherwise
the $PATH variable will be prematurely expanded.

> Thanks again for putting the source code on the website and for the
> detailed instructions in your email - much appreciated.

no prob.

> I have printed parts of the 1000 page manual and tried out various
> commands from the command line. I want to translate some of my
> programs written in Matlab (extended symbolic toolbox) to axiom and
> test the performance, etc. I have the following question:
>
> (1) I usually run a Matlab program, eg. test.m, in the backround with the
>     command:
>
>     time nohup matlab < test.m > test.dat &
>
>     The output to the screen is saved in test.dat. The file test.m usually
>     contains a function called test, and having no input or output
> parameters.
>
>     Typically, test.m calls various other functions, which in turn
>     call other functions, and so on, while also reading and saving
>     data in Matlab data files, eg. test1a.mat, as needed. Such a program
>     can run for several hours, days or even weeks, depending on the
>     computation.
>
>     What are the equivalent commands for doing this in axiom, and the
>     extensions for axiom program file names and data file names ?? Maybe
>     a small example would help.

> C. Frangos.

The 'axiom' command in the mnt/linux/bin directory is actually a shell
script. It ends up executing 'AXIOMsys' which is the binary. If you
just want to run commands the AXIOMsys command can be piped:

Try the following:

cd /tmp
echo "1+1" >in
AXIOMsys <in >out
cat out

alternatively you can execute things from ".input" files. Create a file
called foo.input that contains a series of commands. Suppose foo.input
contains:

2+2
3+3

you can execute this input file with