[Axiom-developer] Re: ISBNs...

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: ISBNs...
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:57:54 -0500

Arthur,

Good point. However Axiom is a moving target and it is reasonable to
issue both "printing with corrections" provided they are not too frequent
and "second edition" versions at regular intervals. Both things happen
without notice now as I have textbooks that have added corrections as
well as "fourth editions" of several books. Indeed, my college calc
text must be up to its 75th edition by now :-)

I don't know that the ISBN numbering system will allow you to order
a particular edition. I know that my copy of K&R is half the thickness
of the currently published version but I believe they share ISBNs.

Personally I'd rather have an up-to-the-minute edition rather than one
with known errors or missing chapters. This was not possible before
print on demand.

However, I can see your point about student editions differing from
last years edition. One could argue that your bookstore should order
you a new edition every semester if required. As a professor I've
actually taught from pre-prints (e.g. the famous Lyons Unix book
and a book on Lisp internals) and I've even had profs inflict their
own notes on me instead of a textbook.

I'll look at the lulu.com site and see if there is a way to accommodate
your concern.