Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom 11/15/2004 on Solaris 9 Sparc

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom 11/15/2004 on Solaris 9 Sparc
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:22:27 -0500

Camm, Kostas,

>> Wait until I get the system ported to the gcl-2.6.5a (my name for the
>> latest GCL CVS). I'll send you a note. Things have moved so I have to
>> rework my patches.
>
>Ok, I will wait.

The axiom--solaris--1 build uses the latest GCL from the CVS directory.
Axiom will not build properly on the latest GCL due to some change in
the common lisp. The filenames are coming out lower case which they
never did before.

Camm: are you aware of any symbol case changes in GCL? It appears that
the function 'localdatabase' (src/interp/daase.lisp.pamphlet) no longer
finds the library file because the case is wrong. In particular, the
message ")library cannot find the file..." is issued at the end of a
compile and the case is wrong thus:

4158 making /tmp/axiom/int/algebra/VECTOR.spad from
/tmp/axiom/src/algebra/vector.spad.pamphlet
4157 making /tmp/axiom/int/algebra/VECTOR.NRLIB from
/tmp/axiom/int/algebra/VECTOR.spad
                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
              Version of Sunday November 28, 2004 at 14:29:56
[...snip...]
   initializing NRLIB VECTOR for Vector
   compiling into NRLIB VECTOR
[...snip...]
Compiling /tmp/axiom/int/algebra/VECTOR.NRLIB/code.lsp.
End of Pass 1.
End of Pass 2.
OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=0 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3, (Debug
quality ignored)
Finished compiling /tmp/axiom/int/algebra/VECTOR.NRLIB/code.lsp.
   )library cannot find the file vector.

(1) -> 4156-0c making /tmp/axiom/mnt/linux/algebra/VECTOR.o from
/tmp/axiom/int/algebra/VECTOR.NRLIB

Kostas: this will not affect your problem as the failure does not
happen until axiom is well into the build. So download the axiom--solaris--1
code and try to compile it thus:

cd /tmp (or whereever)
tla get axiom--solaris--1 axiom
cd axiom
export AXIOM=/tmp/axiom/mnt/linux
export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
make

see how far the build gets and let me know. That will tell us whether
GCL can at least build itself on solaris. Meanwhile I'll try to debug
the symbol case problem in GCL.