Re: [Axiom-developer] Crazy idea

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Crazy idea
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:25:40 -0800 (PST)

--- Dan Martens <address@hidden> wrote:

> A combined install for Axiom and wintexmacs.....hmmm  The only
> problem is that it would be absolutlely huge.  Is there a big
> demand for such an install?

Well, it's a bit hard to tell I guess.  My logic is basically thus:

a)  Windows end users are used to installs with a minimum of user
effort.
b)  Windows is likely to be the largest distribution platform (sad but
true based on Maxima's download figures.)
c)  The speed of modern internet connections (and the size of Axiom by
itself - already over 40 megs) would seem to suggest that another
ten-fifteen megs or so probably won't make or break the download.
d)  A positive, simple install experience + the Axiom book + a pretty
TeXmacs interface will do a lot to convince people checking out the
package that enough effort has been put into the user experience for it
to be more worthwhile than it is frustrating.  From experience, the
typical response of a Windows user to hearing about a program is
something along the lines of "cool, where can I download it" and they
don't even think about downloading and hand configuring other
components.  To them it is a sign of an immature program, at least from
a user experience standpoint.

> For our install, we used the Nullsoft installer system.  I used to
> use installshield, but one of our users/developers turned me on to
> NSIS.  It is an awsome and powerful package.  The scripting is very
> similar to assembly and it puts out a nice build.

Hmm.  Haven't used that one, but it looks nice.

> Do you have a windows install package yet for axiom?
>
> Dan

The zip file is here:
http://page.axiom-developer.org/axiom-windows-0.1.0.zip

I don't have a good windows box to practice on, so I can't say much
about it from personal experience.

CY