Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom--windows--1 build

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom--windows--1 build
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:00:19 -0800 (PST)

--- Martin Rubey <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think maxima uses TK and yes, TCL/TK does exist for MS Windows. If
> you want to follow this root, maxima people will very probably be of
> great help.

The xmaxima frontend and openmath plotting are written in TCL/TK.  I
personally don't care for them, and most of our folk dislike messing
with the code IIRC, but they do get the job done.

A couple questions to help bring the problem into focus:

a)  Do you want to impliment the exact plotting abilities of the
current axiom code in Windows?

b)  If so, are there any native windows plotting programs from which
the effort could start?  (Essentially, use the code as a guide on how
to do various things in Windows, and reimpliment axiom's graphics
exactly.)

c)  If not, what about using a library like VTK (which is cross
platform) to impliment the functionality but maybe not the exact look?
VTK has maintainers of its own and by all accounts I have seen is
extremely powerful and polished.  http://public.kitware.com/VTK/
Unfortunately no lisp bindings though - it would have to be FFI or
socket communications.

d)  A third course is to use some third party program for plotting on
Windows, which might not be as nice as Axiom's plotting for X systems
but will provide at least some functionality.  Maxima's current default
choice on all platforms is gnuplot - we want to make something better
somday, but will most likely need to do it ourselves.

CY