[Axiom-developer] RE: mathaction

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: mathaction
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:38:36 -0500

Tim,

On Friday, December 17, 2004 8:14 PM you asked:

> Am I missing something? Have you set up a way to collaborate
> that doesn't use email? I'm off to see what you're suggesting.

The MathAction wiki has the feature that anyone can "subscribe"
to the whole web site or to individual pages on the site. If
anyone updates or comments on a page on MathAction then all
subscribers receive a notice by email.

As Martin Ruby and I discussed some time ago, it is often seen
as awkward to subscribe in multiple places for the same project
so most people subscribe only once: one of the mailing lists.

MathAction has the potential to greatly facilitate communication
by allowing users to write equations in LaTeX and to execute
Axiom (and Reduce) commands to illustrate some point. But
currently it is still being used as if it were an 1-way only
medium. Recently I upgrade the wiki software to the newest
release of ZWiki that allows one to "preview" the result of
editing changes to a page before committing it to the website.

So for example you pick an exist page containing some Axiom
commands, click Edit and make some changes, correct a mistake,
etc. When you click Preview, you will see the output of Axiom
and other contents of the page nicely formatted as it would
appear to others *if* you decide to click Save. If you don't
want to save, you can just cancel.

When you click Save, any subscribers will be notified by
email of the change you made.

What Martin suggested this morning is that now that we have
this preview function most things that people actually save
will be things that will be of interest to others. Therefore
it makes sense that a notice be sent to all subscribers to
the axiom-developer mailing list, not just to the subscribers
to MathAction wiki. This way we hope that the number of
people actively using MathAction to communicate will gradually
increase as people learn how easy it is to use.

> I've had my head so full I hadn't noticed.

I am not surprized, it has been a busy time!