Re: [Axiom-developer] subscribing axiom-developer to MathAction

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] subscribing axiom-developer to MathAction
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:26:24 +0100

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your effort. However, there are some things I don't understand at
all:

Bill Page writes:

 > Ok, *I think* I have set this up. It was a bit awkward to do it because of
 > the "email reply required" type of authentication that is used by
 > mailman. In order to post a message to axiom- developer the email address of
 > the sender has to be subscribed to the email list.

Is this really true? If yes, we should either change it or keep it in mind for
the next release! It is not very nice if you have a question and want to ask
and the mailman tells you "subscribe first!" Also, if we could change this, all
the problems you describe hereafter would vanish...

 > So I first have to subscribe mathaction to axiom-developer. Mailman sends an
 > email to the address that you specify (in this case
 > address@hidden) and it expects the receiver of the message
 > to do something to confirm the address. Normally email sent to
 > address@hidden will be appended to a page on the MathAction
 > website. To confirm the mathaction email address as a subscriber to
 > axiom-developer I first had to temporily re-direct the mathaction email
 > address on axiom-developer.org to my own email address. Then I could confirm
 > the request and have (apparently) managed to get mathaction subscribed.

Sounds like an interesting job :-)

 > But there is a potential problem. If the mathaction email address is also
 > subscribed to the MathAction wiki - what we really want to do - then that
 > could create a nasty email loop since anything sent to the axiom-developer
 > email list by the MathAction website would be echoed back to MathAction and
 > trigger another outgoing email.

This paragraph I do not understand. The mathaction email adress is
address@hidden, so subscribing this to mathaction would mean
that any change on mathaction will send a message to
address@hidden What for?

Martin