[Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom and WinTexmacs

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom and WinTexmacs
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:22:31 -0500

Leno,

On Monday, December 20, 2004 10:02 AM you wrote:

> Just for your information I have set up WinTexmacs and Axiom
> and it does seem to work fine.

Excellent.

> I concur that
>
> integrate (1/(x**3 * (a+b*x)**(1/3)),x)
>
> does not linebreak properly but most other operations do.

We will try to find a solution to that problem as soon as
possible.

> Is it likely that axiom graphics will (eventually) work
> on the windows platform?

Yes, absolutely. What we have now is only a very preliminary
version of Axiom on Windows and Tim Daly has only just recently
got the graphics working on Linux. In principle porting the
graphics to Windows should not be too difficult however we
have two problems:

  1) the socket communication protocol with GCL (the lisp
     system on which Axiom depends) on Windows has not yet
     been fully tested. sockets are needed for Axiom graphics.

  2) right now Axiom graphics also requires the X-windows
     environment. X windows in not available under native
     Windows so either we have to port the graphics code to
     another windowing library that is available under native
     Windows or we might be forced (for the first release of
     graphics at least) to resort to the cygwin environment
     under windows for the graphics.

I think we can probably achieve Axiom graphics functionality
under cygwin quit easily (say within 1 or 2 months) but for
users who do not already have cygwin installed, setting up
the X-windows environment can be a little complex. On the
other hand, the cygwin version of TeXmacs is already depends
on X-windows and sets up this environment more or less
automatically.

> Thanks for your work on this project.

You are welcome. I look forward to any reports from you
about how you are using it in your research.