RE: [Axiom-developer] Ebuild underway - success

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Ebuild underway - success
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:30:05 -0800 (PST)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> C Y,
>
> Congratulations on the Axiom ebuild. Good work!

Thanks :-).  About time I did something useful!

> The 11-15 tarball is already getting a little dated and
> I think that it probably does not have graphics. The
> best definition of what constitues Axiom 3.0 beta is the
> contents of the CVS on Savannah. Perhaps you should point
> your ebild to the nightly CVS tarball on Savannah instead:
>
>   http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs-backup/axiom-sources.tar.gz

Eeek.  I don't think that will work - there are special provisions for
CVS ebuilds, and IIRC it's a bit of a headache in some cases.  Then,
too, gentoo will mirror the file on many servers, and in such a case
the updates probably won't be mirrored.  Also, the digest would have to
be continually rebuilt each night.  Yuck.  It would be better to have
one tarball which constitutes the 3.0beta, or I suppose it could wait
for 3.0 final.  I'll leave it where it is for now, since on my machine
at least it builds :-).  I suspect the ebuild will likely need a little
polishing before it goes "live" (certainly in the DEPENDS section), and
that way people will have a nice incentive to upgrade to 3.0 final so
we don't get outdated bug reports.

> The command /usr/bin/axiom will not start Axiom in graphics
> mode. This script has not yet been updated. To use graphics
> the script must run sman instead of AXIOMsys.

I take it the intent is to update the script at some point?  End users
are going to expect /usr/bin/axiom to do the job, at least by 3.0
final. (If not I can always patch it, I suppose.)

CY