Re: [Axiom-developer] Ebuild / Versioning

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Ebuild / Versioning
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:01:09 +0100

Dear CY, dear Tim, *

the original plan concerning the recent release was to call it 3.0
BETA. However it seems that there were different versions available at
different places: MathAction Linux, MathAction Windows, Savannah.

At least one person (Meino) got a CVS ("axiom-2004-11-15") were graphics are
missing. Obviously, I should have checked myself that all versions were the
same, except *documented* differences. I'll learn.

So I think that -- according to Tims plan -- the update on savannah first
January will be still a 3.0BETA (or 3.0GAMMA, if you like). I'd argue that 3.0
should be a version were

* builds on all architectures were it should without depending on the knowledge
  of axiom-developer.

* all patches are reviewed and applied if appropriate, implying that the
  algebra on windows and linux are the same. As far as I know, Bill Page is
  already working on this.

* contains a clear label in the banner (i.e: AXIOM Computer Algebra System 3.0)

and I'd hope that this version would be out just before February.

A nice add on would be a future release plan, as done for maxima, that tells
users what changes / features they can expect from the next version.