Re: [Axiom-developer] Ebuild underway - success

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Ebuild underway - success
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:51:51 -0800 (PST)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> CY,
>
> The axiom mechanism for this is to modify the Makefile.pamphlet to
> introduce a new <<makefile.gentoo>> chunk. Then gentoo users would
> set the AXIOM variable to:
>
> AXIOM=`pwd`/axiom/mnt/gentoo
>                       ^^^^^^
>                        this selects the makefile.gentoo chunk
> which is where you would put the new .configure

Hmm.  OK, this should work - I guess the thing to do is check that the
latest monthly release builds using this section on an up to date
gentoo install before bumping the ebuild version number.

> Also, the 'pop up a terminal and hang' issue seems to have something
> to do with a race condition. Graphics works and it is running some
> graphics input test file (likely wiggle.input). If the graphics
> window does not start, say because you do not have xhost permission
> to open a window, then the build hangs.

That's probably it.  This will most likely be a problem, because AFAIK
there isn't any way to insist that emerge has access to an X server.
(In fact, in many situations it definitely won't.)  Is there a toggle
that could be set to build the graphics, but not run the live test?

For the moment I did a xhost +localhost to (hopefully) allow things to
proceed - I'll let you know if it makes it the rest of the way.
Impressive stuff Tim - I'm really looking forward to trying out
graphics :-).  Thanks for all your hard worK!

CY