Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Mathaction edit/preview/save problem

From: Page, Bill
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Mathaction edit/preview/save problem
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:13:39 -0500

On Monday, January 17, 2005 5:21 PM William Sit wrote:

> I tried (sorry, I am always the one with things not working
> :-( ) to post the oneline crasher on issuetracker. Again,
> after all the editing, submitting with add issue button returns
> a "Document has no data" Alert Popup.

William, I have spent a bit of time trying to research your
network problem. There are several reports on the web that seem
related to your problem of "Document has no data" that suggest
that this might be a "spyware" kind of problem or perhaps caused
by the incorrect removal of some other network software. The
suggested solution is given here:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

LSP-Fix

Repairs Winsock 2 settings, caused by buggy or
improperly-removed Internet software, that result in loss
of Internet access

LSP-Fix is a free utility to repair a specific type of problem
associated with certain Internet software. This type of software
is known as a Layered Service Provider or LSP, a piece of
software that can be inserted into the Windows TCP/IP handler
like a link in a chain. However, due to bugs in the LSP software
or deletion of the software, this chain can get broken, rendering
the user unable to access the Internet.

Unfortunately, this type of software is sometimes quietly
installed by unrelated software such as file-sharing programs,
sneaking onto a system unannounced. In fact, in many cases, the
user does not know of its existance until something goes wrong,
and he/she can no longer access Web sites. Common offenders
include New.net* (NEWDOTNET) and WebHancer*, which are often
bundled with file-sharing utilities, DVD player software, and
other free downloads. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by
removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed
by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP
chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

LSP-Fix is not a malware removal utility and does not target
specific products. LSP-Fix does not delete any files.

----------

Useful tutorials:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=59

http://www.help2go.com/article216.html

----------

I have never used lsp-fix before and so I can not certify that this
will necessarily fix your problem. I have tried running the program
on my system and it does not find any LSP to be removed. The above
tutorials and document seem quite legitimit to me and describe
exactly how it works. I think it would be quite safe to proceed
with at least the first level use of this tool to try to correct
the problem.

Could you let me know the list of LSP's that this program finds
on your system?

PS. Of course this only applies to your Windows system. I do
not know what might cause this in the case of linux which
uses entirely different software to access the Internet.