[Axiom-developer] Axiom configure script

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom configure script
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:09:37 -0500

On Monday, February 21, 2005 3:39 AM Jason White wrote:

> William Sit writes:
> >
> > and that solves the problem. Perhaps Axiom should change
> > its use of these obsolete commands?
>
> I don't think they're obsolete on Unix systems.
> On my Debian GNU/Linux system I have
> /bin/uncompress
>
> This is the sort of variation that a configure script
> (or similar) should be able to identify.

I think it would be great if someone (Do you have time Jason?)
could get a start on a proper ./configure script for Axiom.
I am quite tired of the "do nothing" approach of the current
./configure script.

One simple thing would be to rename the current Makefile
in the root directory of the Axiom build to Makefile.in
and then let the ./configure script create an appropriate
Makefile for the particular host environment (including
checking dependencies and setting PATH and AXIOM environment
variables).