[Axiom-developer] piping axiom commands to sman

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] piping axiom commands to sman
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:06:40 -0500

Tim,

Can you think of any reason why sending command to sman via
a pipe might not work? Or can you get it to work and I am
just doing something wrong? :)

I use this method on MathAction right now to send commands
to AXIOMsys with no problems. In the near future once I have
Axiom graphics running on MathAction, I will need to start
sman instead of AXIOMsys in order to setup the process handling
for graphics. But when I try to pipe commands to sman, even
with -noht -noclef options, sman just issues to prompts and
waits. It does not seem to try to read from stdin. If I try
to key in )quit and yes, etc. There is no reaction and I must
eventually kill the process(es).

It seems to me that sman must be doing something quite strange,
incompatible and old fashioned ...  Any ideas?