Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 13:43:55 -0400

Camm Maguire wrote:

Using IE, the problem seems to intermittant. It works for a while
with some urls and not others.

Does this mean that there are some errors that are 100% reproducible?
If so, start with those.
Yes.

IE appears to be closing the socket before your write completes.  The
odd thing is that you report that it is intermittent.  There are two
possibiities that come to mind -- either ie insists on a complete set
of html headers from the server, or there is a timeout issue.

Ok, problem solved (I think). It turned out not to be so exotic an issue.
I modified the web server program as follows:

-    (format s "HTTP/1.1 ~S~%" (if fn 404 500))
+    (format s "HTTP/1.1 ~S~%" (if fn 200 404 ))

If I understand HTTP correctly "404" in the header means "file not found".
"200" means "ok". "500" means server error. So we were both saying
"file not found" but then delivering the file anyway. If that's the case
then it is surprizing that FireFox worked and not surprizing that IE closes
the socket connection before we can send the file.

With this change both FireFox and IE now seem to work reliable
and identically for me.

Anyway, I will take a closer look at the HTTP standard to make sure
that our headers are correct and complete.