[Axiom-developer] RE: string input

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: string input
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 17:12:14 -0400

On May 21, 2005 10:03 AM Tim Daly wrote:

> Well, )lisp is actually just a lisp call. Nothing gets in
> the way. That's why you get the "VALUE" output. You called
> a lisp function. You could write:
>
> )lisp (progn (|parseAndInterpret| "1+1") nil)
>
> and get a NIL return value.

Yes, that is clear. But what I want is the CHARYBDIS
output returned as a list of strings, i.e. literally and
exactly what the print routines display. But instead I want
it as a series of strings representing the separate lines
of output.

> >What I really would like is to see the result also
> >returned in the value.
>
> The result is returned in the value. The question is
> interpretation. The lisp-level algebra is all data
> structures and embedded function references. #<vector 10ccde54>
> is likely the "Union" infovec.

What I see is only the type of the result. I don't
see anything that looks like it encodes

  "- cos(x)"

in my original example. But again, I am not really
interested in the encoding of the algebra. I only want
the text presentation of the result as I presume is
created by what you called CHARYBDIS.

> The best I can suggest is to  use the latex output.
> Since the output isn't really a linear object there
> is no linear syntax. You could invent a linear syntax
> but Knuth already did.

I am not really interested in a linear syntax. (Although
latex output is interesting for a different purpose, later
on.) All I want right now is a line-by-line list of strings
of the text representation. If I took this list of strings
and print them in sequence, the result should look exactly
what I see as a result of Axioms's command

  )set output algebra

But I want this a a set of strings because I need to send
it back down the http session stream in response to http
input.