[Axiom-developer] Re: converting sexps to XML

From: Kai Kaminski
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: converting sexps to XML
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:30:31 +0200

Hi Tim and everyone!

address@hidden wrote:

I should amplify the point made earlier given this comment:
What I meant is that converting sexps to XML is trivial in the sense
that "(tag :attribute value ...)" becomes "<tag attribte="value" ...
</tag>".

Ummm. nope. You assume no runtime meaning; that it is just syntax so that

(anchor "slashdot" "slashdot.org")

==>  <a href="slashdot.org">slashdot</a>

but lisp allows runtime behaviour thus

(defun getAnchor (name) (gethash name URLhash))

(anchor name (getAnchor name))

==> ?
That's correct. I'm only considering XML as a syntax. You could do something like
<defun name="getAnchor" params="name">
   <call name="gethash" params="name URLhash" />
</defun>

or something similar, although you probably wouldn't want to. You can't compare Lisp and XML, Lisp is a language, XML is a mark-up scheme. That's why I always say sexp and not Lisp, sexps are just Lisp lists without any semantics attached. As far as I understand, the question here is wether we want a simple mark-up language for the HyperDoc pages or a full-blown programming language somewhat geared towards hypertext generation (macros could certainly do so, another example is Scribe (http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Scribe/)). We could actually adapt Scribe to some extent (with Common Lisp semantics, of course).

I suggest that we first aim for consensus regarding the expressive power of the page description language and then discuss the possible syntax.

Of course, we could offer tags like
<link style="axiom" ref="axiom/config">Axiom configuration</link>
<link type="axiom" ref="community/developer">Axiom Developer Site</link>

or other tags which process some of the input. For example the last link would automatically lead to axiom-developer.org or some other appropriate site, even if its URL changes.

We can certainly specify an API of function calls with restricted
meaning and requirements. This requires a balance between at least
two mindsets for very large values of two.

Mindset one is that we want to be able to generate any XML. Thus we
want to look at the XML spec and make sure we "cover" it, that is,
make sure we can generate the full range of XML.

Mindset two is that we want to be able to reproduce the existing
browser functionality. Thus we want to look at the range of abilities
of the existing browser and make sure we can implement it.

Mindset three is that we want to take advantage of the new browser
abilities, like tabs, bookmarks, popups, javascript, jsMath, etc.
and want to reflect these abilities in the API so we can write code to generate them.

Do we really need the ability to generate all kinds of XML from within a HyperDoc page? I thought that the HyperDoc pages would look something like this (in LaTeX notation):

\begin{paragraph}[editable]
 some text
\end{paragraph}

and that the back-end would transform this to something like
 some text

and also insert the necessary Javascript to make sure the paragraph is actually editable. I'm not sure if it is really desirable to give an author the ability to do whatever he wants. That way we couldn't guarantee a somewhat standard look-and-feel. I understand that there are some special pages in HyperDoc, e.g. for configuration, which might make good use of having Lisp at their disposal, but we can implement those as Lisp functions in the back-end.

Another issue with having too powerful a page language is that it is difficult to process automatically. You can't validate the pages, you never know if they'll finish rendering eventually or not. We would not only have bugs in the GUI and Axiom but also in the documentation. And if we ever change some aspect of the standard look-and-feel someone will have to go and hunt down and fix dozens if not hundreds of pages containing some Lisp that doesn't mix well with the new standard. If the language is simple markup, we just change the rendering code in the GUI back-end and all pages look all new and shiny.

If we really want to offer the full power of Lisp, that's easy, too. Give the user the option to supply a Lisp source file as the page source. We would offer some convenience functions/macros of course, something like the following maybe:

(define-hyperdoc-page
   :title "MyPowerfulPage"
   :axiom-ref "MPP"
   :content #'my-powerful-page)

(defun my-powerful-page (stream)
   (with-html
      ....))

But I don't think that forcing that degree of control onto everyone on every occasion is a good idea. The other problem is that people would have to learn Lisp or something similar. A good datapoint is LaTeX. It is programmable, but most people don't care. Everyone uses \newcommand, but mostly for abbreviations and other simple things.

Finally I'd like to note that I might have missed some capabilities of the old HyperDoc browser. Also I'm not writing many HyperDoc pages so it's really not my decision what to do.

Ah, there is a carnival of voices in my head....
I just spend several hours reading about US tax law and relevant treaties. Nothing can be worse than that. ;-)

Kai