[Axiom-developer] RE: download links and server names (was: axiom--GUI--

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: download links and server names (was: axiom--GUI--1)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:37:12 -0400

On Wednesday, September 14, 2005 6:01 PM Bob McElrath wrote:

> > My goal is to setup some simple virtual server names and shorten
> > the urls as much as possible. Now by default
>

> That's a very good idea.
>
> > Just yesterday I finished setting up a new name for the Axiom
> > wiki.
> >
> > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org
>
> On this page could you add explicit "width" and "height" attributes
> for the img tags?  This page "reflows" several times during load,
> as it gets each of the images and determines their size...

Maybe you should use a smarter browser? ;) FireFox doesn't do
that to me.

Ok, I added the width and height. Is that better?

> > For now these older names should continue to work. But eventually
> > when this is all done, I would like to retire those that are
> > clearly redundant.
>
> I think they should be retired ASAP as the site organization has been
> quite confusing.

It's hard to make changes quickly when things have been around
for a while. I worry about broken links. But when everything is
working nicely, then it makes sense to me to advertize the
changes widely and then set a time limit like 1 month before
removing the old names.

> > I am also planning to implement
> >
> > http://portal.axiom-developer.org
> >
> > which will be identical to
> >
> > http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/Plone
> >
> > If anyone has any comments about this re-organization, please
> > let me know.
>
> I think we should decide on one or the other.  Having multiple
> sites makes it very confusing.

Do you mean decide on "wiki" or "portal", i.e. Plone? I have also
had this discussion with Martin Rubey. I have argued that these
are two quite different web services. The wiki is open and public
while the portal has more controlled access for content creation.
It is possible to create both public and private wiki pages in Plone
and there are other features of the portal such as bibliography,
event notices, etc.

Of course the user interface for the wiki is much simpler than the
portal. So far the portal has not had much use although nearly 60
people have registered to use it. But then again, only a very few
people have even edited any wiki pages. So I guess that's how it
goes in the "collaborative web" :-(