Re: [Axiom-developer] Openmath, Singular

From: Michael Brickenstein
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Openmath, Singular
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:03:03 +0200

Hello!
I am very sorry for not expressing me more clearly. I hope nobody feels offended. I appreciate the work of all axiom Developers. It was only some weakness of english language (in German you say "Dein" for Singular and "Euer" in Plural as translation for "your"). My view is, that such a software can only be written and maintained by a good team, which is also the case for Singular.
In particularly I am a big friend of the open source movement.

For connecting Singular to MathAction directly via Python: This will not be possible. Singular is not a library, so the only thing possible for me was writing some embedding not an extension, which is a subtil difference, but means that Python runs inside Singular and not Singular inside Python.

I am looking forward, actually openmath itself is not so a difficult thing to get run, it only needs some motiviation to implement it.
There is no motivation, if nobody uses it.

This is a point, where I attack. Additionaly to axiom I am in contact to Sage, and a CAS for representation theory which is in planing. I also know from cocoa, that Openmath is their big new feature (and some other systems, for which I don't know how important it is for them).
Of course I will further increase my contacts in the community.
Together we should form a critical mass.

Yours,
Michael Brickenstein