Re: FW: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: FW: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora
Date: 12 Oct 2005 20:35:09 -0400

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wednesday, October 12, 2005 7:28 PM Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Bill Page wrote:
> > > I don't know much about Debian, but I understand that there is
> > > some utility for accessing Debian products on "alien" linuxes.
> > > Has anyone tried using this approach to install Axiom on other
> > > platforms?
> > >

> > The alien program can convert the .deb to a .rpm, which should
> > save everyone a lot of work I'd think.  One can even unpack a
> > tarball from the deb -- details on request.
> >

> This is what I have tried so far on the axiom-developer.org
> server (which is running RedHat 9). If anyone has some experience
> with doing this and has some suggestions and explanations to
> offer, I would greatly appreciate it!
>
> First I go here
>
> http://kitenet.net/programs/alien/
>
> to download and install the 'alien' program from 'Latest source code'
>
> Then I visit
>
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/axiom
>
> click on i386, choose a mirror and download the *.deb file
>
> I become root and then run
>
>   # alien --to-rpm axiom_20050901-2_i386.deb
>
> It gives me some warnings about omitting "scripts":
>
>   Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package axiom: postinst
> postrm
>   Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
>   axiom-20050901-3.i386.rpm generated
>
> Should I have used the --scripts parameter?
>
> Now I can try a test run:
>
>   # rpm -ihv --test axiom-20050901-3.i386.rpm
>
> It tells me:
>
>   error: Failed dependencies:
>         libreadline.so.5 is needed by axiom-20050901-3
>
> --------
>
> Hmmm... I guess this sort of is working :) but where to go from
> here? Should I continue to try to satisfy a dependencies like
> libreadline.so.5 from Debian binaries?

I agree this appears to be working.  You can either continue
converting from the debs (all of which are listed on the Debian
package webpage), or you can grab the libs from your distribution
using whatever method they use.  libreadline, libncurses, and libgmp3
should be all the unusual libs you need.

Take care,