Re: [Axiom-developer] documentation

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] documentation
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:37:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> ok, people, we're clearly missing a trend here...
>
> the latest idea i've seen in documentation is movies.
> we need to figure out how to make a movie that shows how to start
> up an axiom session, perform a computation, and shut it down.
>
> once we can figure out that technology we can each make movies of
> our portions. i could make a movie of the steps needed to build a
> system.
>
> it would be a fast and effective way to communicate user interaction.
>
> anybody know how to do this?

Are you thinking of the SLIME movie that's been getting rave reviews?
(it's about an hour and rather in depth)
http://bc.tech.coop/blog/050728.html

(for those without bittorrent here's the 149 meg mov file:
http://common-lisp.net/movies/slime.mov)

Or just something shorter?  In the case of the above movie I don't know
how it was made, but there is a flash demo of SLIME made using vnc here
(which I can't play on my work computer so I have no idea if it's any
good):
http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/slime.html

I've never tried the software used for this
(http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/ and
http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/edit_vnc2swf.html) so I can't
comment on it.  Apparently there also exists the program wink
(http://www.debugmode.com/wink/) which is a free download but not open
source.  Also for Linux there is xvidcap (http://xvidcap.sf.net) which
will produce mpeg files.

There are movies that have been made of the new e17 environment using
xvidcap - based on a comment from the e17 author xvidcap isn't great
for smooth motion capture but I think for what we will be using it for
it would work fine.  I think this is one of them (not sure how avi
conversion was done): http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17_movie-02.avi

Not sure how to actually use xvidcap - normally I don't do much with
video on Linux.  Also I don't know anything about recording audio.

Cheers,
CY

http://mail.yahoo.com