RE: [Axiom-developer] compile with Debian fails

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] compile with Debian fails
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:04:17 -0500

Martin,

On October 31, 2005 8:42 AM you wrote:
> Unfortunately, building axiom from the darcs sources does
> not work: it seems that for some files the executable bit
> is not set (for example for configure), so I said
>
> chmod -R u+x *

I don't understand this problem with the executable bit.
the 'configure' file in the darcs repository does have the
executable bit set.

> and gcl-2.6.7.* is missing (I copied them from the debian
> distribution).

This was my problem. I had forgotten to do

  darcs add zips/gcl-2.6.7*

after doing the 'tla update' and before the 'darcs record'
to update the darcs repository from the main tla archive.

> Now the build seems to be working.

Great.

> I did not yet set up tla.

darcs is much easier than tla but tla is more flexible.
I have a feeling that we are not using tla in an optimal
manner. In particular perhaps we should be using "revision
libraries" to reduce the amount of network traffic that
tla generates? Are there any tla guru's out there who
could advise?