RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [fspace.spad] dvi file display

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [fspace.spad] dvi file display
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:27:07 -0500

On November 8, 2005 12:16 PM Michel Lavaud
> I suspect you are viewing with Dviwin, a dvi file produced by
> TeX4ht ? TeX4ht produces an intermediate dvi file (because it
> uses TeX to resolve user-defined or package-defined TeX commands),
> but this dvi file is not to be viewed with a dvi viewer, it is
> not what one would get by running TeX directly. The
> real/usable/viewable output is the html file(s) produced by
> TeX4ht.

Thanks, Michel. I think you are right about this. In my haste
and limited time available to implement pamphlet support on
MathAction, I did do a number of experiments with alternative
ways to render LaTeX as HTML. TeX4ht was one of these. It seems
that due to my error, the file that William Sit tried to view
was simply "left over" from such experiments. When I updated the
pamphlet file for fspace.spad with the new source provided by
Tim, these old experiments were overwritten with the correctly
formatted files and everything appears to work now.

Note: This was not a problem with TeX4ht which I think works
extremely well in most cases. Recall that according to some emails
exchanged here a few weeks ago, the author of this package is also
planning to extend it to support jsmath format LaTeX output and
I think that would make it ideal for many web applications. The
problem was only due to my not cleaning things up properly after
my experiments.