[Axiom-developer] doyen

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] doyen
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:45:17 -0500

> Subject: lisp webserver
> From: "Tim Daly Jr." <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:29:43 +0100
>
> If you want to bolt Lisp onto a webserver, the sweet spot of simple and
> nice is probably tbnl and mod_lisp:  <http://www.weitz.de/tbnl/>.
> Nothing fancy, but it all works well.
>
> The website for finding Lisp software is <http://www.cliki.net/>.
>
> I run my Lisp code in SBCL: <http://www.sbcl.org>.  It supports the full
> standard (<http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/>), does
> native code compilation, has multithreading, two different profilers,
> comes with libraries for system definition (asdf), fetching and
> installing packages and their dependiencies (asdf-install), sockets,
> posix functions, a foreign function interface, yadda yadda yadda...
>
> So in my world, you would keep the client functionality (the stuff in
> the web browser) relatively straightforward, and do all the magic in
> your Lisp webserver.  Nobody likes programming in a web browser anyway.
>
> (it's okay to quote this email...)
> --
> -Tim

i got this response to the doyen questions. if i understand the
architecture correctly this solves both the questions of "drag and drop"
and "embedded command window".

"drag and drop" works since the browser, the webserver, and lisp are all
running on the same machine. thus anything the browser asks for (such as
notangle-compile-load, noweave-latex-xdvi can be done by a background
lisp process.

"embedded command window" is also possible. it appears that franz already
offers this ability with a lisp prompt in a window. they appear to be
using a java applet which opens a tcp connection to the host-based lisp
process and emulates a terminal.

so doyen seems much more feasible at this point. i'm going to prototype
this setup and, if i can make it work, merge it onto the doyencd project
at sourceforge.