RE: [Axiom-developer] Units and Dimensions - example pdf and dvi files

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Units and Dimensions - example pdf and dvi files
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:55:21 -0800 (PST)

--- "Page, Bill" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 29, 2005 4:14 PM C Y wrote:
> >
> > Well, still not approved for public visibility
>
> Sorry, I've been a bit busy with other things. Do you still
> want these documents approved or would you like to wait for a
> more final version? No problem either way. I am just hesitating
> because I am not sure whether I have explained how this
> "publishing" thing works properly yet.

No problem.  If the direct linking works, I think that's plenty for
now.  As I'm sure you've noticed, this version is anything but final.
I wasn't sure if that link working was accidental or intentional.

> > but it looks like a direct link to each file will allow folks
> > to view them.
>
> Yes, by default new documents are "visible" which means that
> only users of the portal who are logged-in will see them in the
> list of "recent items" and as a result of a search for
> keywords. If not logged in they will not see them but a direct
> link like in this email will work for anyone.

I like that - it's a good system, and allows lots of flexibility.  I
suppose most folks on this list probably have logins to the portal
anyway, or should by now ;-).

> If a document is "published" then it will be visible even if
> not logged in and so (sooner or later) is will also appear in
> Google and other search engines who regularly index this site.

Ooo, good point.  Yes, better leave them unpublished.  I'll cancel the
submitted status when I get a chance.

> Note: You don't need to include '/download' in the link.

Ah :-).  Excellent.

> You might also want to add these links to your home page on the
> portal. This would let you refer to a shorter url like above.
> If you need help doing this, just ask.

OK, I'll take a shot at that when I get a chance.

> I am not sure why you want to display all these different
> versions. Are you looking for comments on the format?

Well, the different formatting options are to show the flexibility of
the header system I'm using.  I'm making my case for the conditional
logic in the preamble by showing what can be achieved - all of those
versions except the xypic diagram ones were the result of simply
commenting or uncommenting a couple of lines in the file.

For those who just want to look at the current state of the units and
dimensions document, the xypic pdf is the recommended one.

> Personally I like the one with the hyperref links and the
> diagram. Why wouldn't everyone want that? I don't care about
> the margins - whatever looks good to you is fine with me.

Well, the drawbacks of that one are a) it uses a VERY non-standard
preamble, and b) the XYpic diagram increases the size quite a bit and
for some reason is relatively slow to render in Acrobat Reader.

I prefer the current "standard" margins for reading, but I like having
the option of easily switching to the 1in margins for printing, since
it saves almost ten pages IIRC.  That's the only utility there.  I got
a bit fancy and allowed automatic resizing of a couple of large
equations based on the two margin sizes, but breqn would be a
preferable solution there if the license is ever straightened out.  (Or
we implement our own version of it.)

> As to the content, I think it looks very interesting and
> is going to require a bit more study.

Thanks.  I apologize in advance for it's unfinished state, but I did
want to at least show that I've been doing SOMETHING.

> Thanks again for working on this.

My pleasure.  Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
CY