RE: [Axiom-developer] Units and Dimensions - example pdf and dvi files

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Units and Dimensions - example pdf and dvi files
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:36:39 -0800 (PST)

--- "Page, Bill" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:56 PM Tim Daly (root) wrote:
> >
> > > I got a bit fancy and allowed automatic resizing of a
> > > couple of large equations based on the two margin sizes,
> > > but breqn would be a preferable solution there if the
> > > license is ever straightened out.  (Or we implement our
> > > own version of it.)
>
> What is the issue of the license for breqn?

Simply put, there is none.  So no one knows what its license terms are.
 People use it but technically the situation is unclear.  I can give a
little more background but if we get into that we should shift over to
axiom-legal.

Also, the current 0.94 release is technically a beta - the author has a
note that some issues still need work.

> > if breqn is an equation line breaker we have one of those.
> > bill is the keeper of the latest set of changes i believe.
> >

> breqn is written in LaTeX (TeX?), i.e. it is a LaTeX-only
> solution.

Right.

> The line breaker code (written by Robert Sutor - one of the
> original Axiom developers) that we use with Axiom on both
> MathAction and in the Windows version of the TeXmacs interface
> is written in C.  The original version was run as a filter
> but I adapater it slightly to be called as a subroutine. It
> accepts a few parameters, one of which is the desired line
> size.

The problem is how do we know what the size of an equation is relative
to our page size in the output until we render it?

The general solution to this problem is actually an interesting
research problem, as well as an immense challenge. :-).

Cheers,
CY

http://mail.yahoo.com