RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:05:04 -0500

On December 8, 2005 9:36 AM C Y wrote:

> > > What do you mean by tags?  Is that a way to refer to
> > > specific points in a document?
> >
> > Yes. Works in HTML and PDF (Acrobat). Maybe some dvi?
>
> Well, my units tex file has a way to create hyperref targets
> within a document.  I'm not sure how to open a DIFFERENT
> file and go to a target in that file, or even if acroread/xdvi
> support that, but it might be doable - I'll take a look.

All web browsers (with HTML documents) and Acrobat (Adobe
version) support this.

> > Yes, apparently you can create hyperlinked pdf files this way.
> > See:
> >
> > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1/Endpaper2
> >
> > This is Tim's revised endpaper file with some additional
> > options specified for the hyperref package that allow it to
> > generate hyperlinks using dvipdfm.
> >

> \usepackage[dvipdfm,final,colorlinks=true,pdfstartview=FitH]{hyperref}
>
> We're going to run into trouble here, I think.  So far, if I
> supply pdf specific options to hyperref in tetex 3.0+, it's
> going to perforce compile with pdfetex instead of latex.

No this does not happen to me. MathAction uses pdfeTeX
3.141592-1.21a-2.2 to generate the dvi for the file above.
Then it used dvipdfm to create the pdf file. This is done
internally for each pamphlet file on the Axiom wiki.

> This is intended behavior apparently, since according to
> what I have read pdfetex can usually generate better pdf
> documents than a ps->pdf or dvi->pdf conversion can.

So far that is not my experience.

> If dvipdfm is really a direct dvi->pdf converter, maybe
> there is some way to generate dvi diagrams of pstrick
> figures and use it to convert them to pdf for insertion
> by pdflatex, but that sounds frighteningly hackish to me.

pstricks inserts postscript "extras" into the dvi file.
'dvipdfm' converts dvi format to pdf format.

http://gaspra.kettering.edu/dvipdfm/

Since pdf is closely related to postscript, one might hope
that dvipdfm would also convert the postscript extras into
pdf as well. But at the above web site I read:

"Version 0.12 provides native MetaPost output support and
some native PostScript support (no, PSTricks doesn't work).
Version 0.12 allows transparent PS/EPS file inclusion with
help from an auxiliary program such as GhostScript. Version
0.12 enhances DVI compatibility by implementing various
standard specials for color, papersize, etc. Some simple
embedded PostScript code (ps: specials) can also be processed."

:(

At the pstricks website:

http://www.tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=pdf/pdfoutput

"The PSTricks macros cannot be used with pdf(La)TeX, because
PSTricks uses PostScript arithmetic, which isn't part of
PDF. There are several more or less good possibilities to
get a PDF output from PostScript."

They seem to recommend using:

dvips <file>.dvi
ps2pdf <file>.ps