Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:16:53 +0100

root wrote:
> i've hacked src/doc/endpaper.pamphlet to add hyperlinks.
> most of the links go to catdef.spad.dvi because they are
> categories that live there. i don't know how to implement
> #tags in latex yet.

I just had a quick look at your file. It's cool that hyperref can also refer to dvi files by just saying something like

\href{catdef.spad.dvi}{abelsg}

I was always looking for something like that. I've never tried it out though. Thanks for showing that to me.

HOWEVER, I would not have written the links in endpaper.pamphlet as you have done. OK, I understand that endpaper.pamphlet is just a quick hack.

I would have proposed just to write \adtype{AbelianSemiGroup} (sorry that I borrowed the \adtype tag from ALLPROSE, but it is just a tag after all). In the definition of \adtype one would have to take care about the file in which AbelianSemiGroup is defined. That frees you from changing anything in endpaper.pamphlet (or any other file that refers to AbelianSemiGroup) if someone ever thinks of moving that definition to some other file. One just had to redefine \adtype (and even that could be done automatically).

Next, don't use the abbreviation in the \href command. That could be automatically extracted from AbelianSemiGroup, if you really want to see the abbreviation. (I would rather be happy with the full name.)

Furthermore, if you put ".dvi" into the link you basically restrict yourself to dvi output (unless you redefine \href to swallow the extension ".dvi"). Why not having everything, dvi, ps, pdf, html, ...?
With ALLPROSE I now can produce the first 4 reasonably well.

Every information is already in "AbelianSemiGroup" some scripts should be responsible for making the links correct. I am very much against hardcoding references to files if you actually mean a reference to a domain/category.

Ralf