Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 19:07:33 +0100

I would have proposed just to write \adtype{AbelianSemiGroup} (sorry that I borrowed the \adtype tag from ALLPROSE, but it is just a tag after all). In the definition of \adtype one would have to take care about the file in which AbelianSemiGroup is defined. That frees you from changing anything in endpaper.pamphlet (or any other file that refers to AbelianSemiGroup) if someone ever thinks of moving that definition to some other file. One just had to redefine \adtype (and even that could be done automatically).

\adtype? since this appears to by your macro i can't comment.

Well, it is just a name. I just used it since I use it in ALLPROSE to tag types. What one can do with a tagged thing is completely up to the style. And whether you use my definitions in aldordoc.sty or something more fancy, it's up to you.

I just wanted to make the point that there should be a very simple interface for the people who are actually using the tags. If a documentation writer always has to remember in which file what is defined that is too much burden. And that burden could be taken away by a good design and some scripts that collect and add all the information that is apperently not completely visible in the .tex/.pamphlet file.

Next, don't use the abbreviation in the \href command. That could be automatically extracted from AbelianSemiGroup, if you really want to see the abbreviation. (I would rather be happy with the full name.)

the original end papers on the inside cover of the jenks book used
full domain names. however they had the luxury of 2 pages of space.
my attempt at reproducing the information ran into the edges. to
save space and still keep the information i was forced to use abbreviations. full names wouldn't fit.

I think if you want to convey information "size" is a bad excuse.

Furthermore, if you put ".dvi" into the link you basically restrict yourself to dvi output (unless you redefine \href to swallow the extension ".dvi"). Why not having everything, dvi, ps, pdf, html, ...?
With ALLPROSE I now can produce the first 4 reasonably well.

well i tried http urls to the wiki but those failed (at least in xdvi)
so i played around more and found i could get to local .dvi files.

Well, as Bill already said. Xdvi can be configured to open a web browser with the url you click on in the .dvi file. Say "make dvi" in ALLPROSE and click at the URL on the first page. If no webbrowser opens in your case you should just re-configure you xdvi. I use xdvik from http://xdvi.sourceforge.net/, by the way.

Go to
 Options>Preferences>Helper Applications
and say under "Other"
 firefox -raise -remote 'openURL(%s,new-tab)'
or
 firefox -raise -remote 'openURL(%s,new-window)'

That works for me.

actually the latest "grand scheme" is related to Bill's question about
parents/children. we could certainly hack up a routine in lisp or
aldor that, given a domain, could spit out the parent/siblings/children and then dynamically create the file containing the graph. thus a user could point at a domain and ask for the graph.

Well if I could easily get access to parents/siblings/children from the .asy file in a some more attractive way for me, that would make me happy and would probably be the dead of current hyperdoc, since then
hyperdoc(-similar) pages could be created in the following way

.pamphlet (with aldordoc-like +++ descriptions) -->
.ao file                                        -->
libaxiom.al

Having libaxiom.al then extract the .ao again   -->
.asy  (with +++ comments)                       -->
.tex (with the +++ comments like in ALLPROSE)   -->
latex/pdflatex/htlatex that .tex files to get an API
descriptions in dvi/pdf/html form.

That would be great.

Ralf