Re: [Axiom-developer] Aldor?

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Aldor?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:00:02 -0600

Frederic Lehobey <address@hidden> writes:
>> Yes! Please write to Steven Watt. I think it would definitely
>> help if it is clear to Steven that many people would like to
>> have Aldor open source. Maybe what we need is a kind of
>> "petition" that people could "sign" and email to him. I fear
>> that perhaps Steven does not take my claims that this is
>> desired by many people very seriously.
>
> I would never do such a thing.  I consider it harassment and very
> childish.

I think there's a misunderstanding here.
There is a big difference between one person waiting and a community
of people waiting for something.  Letting Steven Watt know that there
is a community waiting for a potential relicensing of Aldor is
not only a reasonable thing to do, it could be argued that not letting
him know would be a disservice to Axiom.  I think it goes without
saying that anything sent to him would be friendly and cordial.

> I have the greatest respect (and recognition) for people
> contributing to free software by putting the software they have
> rights on under any free software license.  If Steven Watt belongs
> to such people is his own choice (if even he has such a choice) and
> I respect everybody's choice whatever is this choice.

Nobody is suggesting it isn't his choice.  That doesn't mean we can't
respectfully ask that he make a particular choice.

> I am very sad for people from the Axiom community to give such a
> message as `we have such a good free software that we are willing to
> drop it for an other replacement, please open source this possible
> substitute'.

This is an improvement, not a replacement, for Axiom.  I think
the only message being sent is that we want to improve Axiom as much
as possible.

> Thanks Tim and other contributors for the impressive work already
> achieved.  Keep up the good work and happy new year.

Hear, hear!

Jay