RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Doyen

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Doyen
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:12:27 -0500

On Tuesday, January 17, 2006 4:41 PM Alfredo Portes wrote:

> I have a few questions regarding the way ZWiki handles new
> pages. I would like to integrate the little app we have for
> drag and drop in the CD to the Latex Wiki. Is it possible to
> create pages in the Wiki without doing this manually?

Yes, although of course some HTML <form action="..."> has
to be trigger somehow (usually via a "submit") in order that
ZWiki can begin to process the input.

> if it is, does it have to be a python script?

The processing on the server-side will have to be at
least initiated by some Python code that is associated
with the type of Zope objects you will be creating. See
for example how I handle the "tangle" operation now in
the pamphlet files on MathAction. In that case the Python
code calls 'notangle' internally.

But the triggering of the "submit" action would normally
be handled by something like JavaScript in the browser or
by some other HTTP-aware "helper" application.

> I will like for the person using the CD to have this
> tool, they would drag the pamphlet to this application,
> not to the Wiki and then the application would take care
> of adding it to the Wiki.

This sounds quite possible but it perhaps might involve
more coding then alternatives. If you do it this way,
the local "helper" application could be written in any
programming language, but presumably you would want to
choose carefully in order to minimize the effort of
porting to/from at least Windows and Linux.

> I do not know if this sounds too complicated, or if
> it would be better to write this kind of script inside
> ZWiki. Sorry if I didn't explain my point clear enough.

I think your idea is clear enough. But it will not be
possible to write everything that you need inside ZWiki -
only part of it. The major alternative as I see it is to
write JavaScript for a browser like FireFox. This has
the great benefit of being highly portable and provides
an otherwise very familiar interface for the user.

JavaScript locally in a browser does have some limitations
but I think for what you want to do, it might be the most
simple solution.

How does you current test drag-and-drop application work?
Can it be easily used as the front-end to what you want
to do on LatexWiki?