Re: [Axiom-developer] Preferred SCM

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Preferred SCM
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 02:21:35 -0500

The primary sources are maintained under arch due to the availability
of "changesets".

The secondary sources (at sourceforge and savannah) are under CVS
because that's the available system.

The wiki sources are maintained under darcs.

The reasons are historical. There was a bit of debate about using
changesets instead of CVS. SVN was not available at the time. Arch
was the front-runner and had some of the features of bitkeeper.
We considered using bitkeeper but that's a commercial product.

It still is not clear to me which system is optimal. Arch is powerful
but we only use the changeset feature. Darcs is easy but not as powerful
as Arch. CVS is universal but lacks changesets. SVN combines some of
these features. ... and then there is 'git' which I've recently
experimented with.

Generally the axiom sources are posted in arch, savannah, and sourceforge
within 24 hours of each other so they should be identical. Thus you can
use either arch or cvs.