Re: [Axiom-developer] Preferred SCM

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Preferred SCM
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:35:14 +0100

I hope Axiom stays with GNU arch. In particular, in the future we could more and more exploit the "multiple archives" feature and the "star-merge".

I am relatively new to Arch, but after reading about it and about Subversion. I think GNU Arch is more powerful even if it lacks nice GUIs. (BTW there is xtla for emacs http://wiki.gnuarch.org/xtla -- unfortunately I haven't had time to install it properly.)

I particular "star-merge" sounded quite nice to me. (And that is missing in SVN.)

In fact development could work like that:
Tim is maintaining the "official" Axiom sources and only he has write access to it (but anyone can read it). Everyone could open up his own archive, ie just branch from the latest official (axiom--main--1) version (for example axiom--myfeature--1.0) and develop into that archive until some feature has been completed. If in the meantime, axiom--main--1 got another patch, it would be easy to integrate that into axiom--myfeature--1.0. Finally send a mail to Tim and tell him the place of the archive. Tim (or maybe in the future any other group of reviewers) could check the new feature and integrate that into axiom--main--1 by just calling
star-merge, see

http://regexps.srparish.net/tutorial-tla/development-branches.html

Ralf

PS: If time permits, I'll add some section into volume 4 "Developer's Guide".