RE: [Axiom-developer] JET source code up in the Axiom portal

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] JET source code up in the Axiom portal
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:07:17 -0500

Wow! This is a **very** extensive work! There is a lot of very
interesting and useful looking work here.

I have begun the process of installing this package on
the Axiom Wiki. You can see some of the code here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxJet

On Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:24 AM C Y wrote:

> Werner M. Seiler's JET - An AXIOM Environment for Geometric
> Computations with Differential Equations - is now available under
> Modified BSD.  Code only, but the paper can be read online:

http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/cgi-bin/psview?document=/1997  \
/Ettlingen/110&search=/1997/Ettlingen/110

I had some problems reading the pdf version of the file above.
It seems to have very small top margin that cuts off some of
the text. I was able to print it successfully using ghostview
on the postscript version and then convert it to a useable pdf
with the ghostview 'convert' option.

http://portal.axiom-developer.org/Members/starseeker/Jet-June1995.tar.gz

> I'm not sure if this will work without being logged in to the Axiom
> portal.

It downloads just fine.

As I mentioned above, I am trying to get this to compile on
the Axiom Wiki.

One problem is to find the dependencies and a feasible order in which
to compile the sources.

A second problem is that some of the code does not compile as is
using SPAD. In these cases, I was forced to break the code down
into smaller pieces with only one domain/category per section/file.
I think this strategy is going to work.

A third problem is that there are apparently some Aldor versions
of some of the domains/categories. I tried to compile one of
these, but got an unexpected error message. Right now I am
assuming that it will be possible to compile the entire system
using just the Spad code.

> I wish to thank Werner Seiler for digging up this code and
> granting permission to use it, and apologize for not announcing
> this sooner - it was actually online back in late December.

Thank you very much Werner Seiler! This is a marvelous contribution
to the mathematical abilities of Axiom.

Thanks also Cliff, for getting around to post this message. :)