Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: ASDF and ./configure

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: ASDF and ./configure
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:26:57 +0100

Hello Gaby,

24 Feb 2006 07:54:40 +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden>:
> The value of using Autoconf for Axiom is not in building it on or for
> Ultrix, but in reusing packaged knowledge about various regular systems,
> taken care of by system packagers.  Axiom really should be developing
> its own idea of config.guess or system triplet.

Ok. However, I had the impression that Autoconf triplets are not what
is needed for Axiom (e.g. is t possible to recognize a Fedora Core 3?
Could we integrate different Lisps as part of the system triplet?).
But you obviously think that using some m4 macros this is not an
issue.

> ahem, in which shell?

Bash. But you're perfectly right that I did not read the manual with
enough attention:
man bash
[...]
       string1 == string2
              True if the strings are equal.  = may be used in place of == for
              strict POSIX compliance.

Bourne sh is using '=' as string equality.

Gaby: 1 - David: 0 (well, rather -infinity on this one ;-)

> Autoconf has been widely test in more wild
> environment than anything variation you'll come up here.  I would
> suggest that we avoid NIH and reuse the wisdom of the Autoconf guys
> who have faced and experienced wild shell variation issues.

Ok, I'll look at Autoconf. If I should criticize it, at least should I
do it on sound grounds. :-) I'll try to make a first prototype, but as
I need to learn Autoconf first, don't hold your breath.

Best wishes,
d.