RE: [Axiom-developer] AldorForAxiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] AldorForAxiom
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:14:16 -0500

On March 15, 2006 12:31 PM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> I work with axiom--main--1--patch-46 and recently compiled it
> on my debian sarge machine. Worked fine, except that there must
> have been a LaTeX error in the compilation of endpaper.pamphlet.
>
> Anyway, on http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AldorForAxiom I read
> that Peter Broadbery's patch has been included from patch-44 on.

Sorry. The web site says:

"The Axiom/Aldor interface has been updated for the open source
version of Axiom (as of Patch-44) by Peter Broadbery."

What I should have said is that Peter Broadbery's patches and
the procedure that follows can be successfully applied to Axiom
Patch-44... but that it is *not* part of the current Axiom
distribution.

As of about Patch-46, I think, the 'aldor.diff' patches were
included, but the rest of the procedure still has to be done.
Tim only applied the patch 'aldor.diff'. That is just step 6.
You still have to do all other steps 1 to 13 not involving
'aldor.diff'.

> So I expect aldor to work. Well, it does.

I am quite surprized that it even gets that far.

> I can compile the file fact.as given on the above website,
> but when I type
>
> (1) -> fact 4
>
> I get the message
>
>     >> System error:
>     Cannot open the file
> /home/hemmecke/OTHER/Axiom/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/aldor/lib/
> runtime.o.
>
> There is no library runtime.o that I could find. (I even
> wonder why it should be .o and not .lsp.)

That is created during step 9.

> My Axiom compilation did also not create the directory
> /home/hemmecke/OTHER/Axiom/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/aldor

No. It is not currently part of the Axiom distribution. It
comes from step 8.

> Anyway, even if I "ln -s" my Aldor compiler directory there,
> I still don't have runtime.o.

No. The Aldor interface is not part of the Axiom distribution
because Aldor is not part of the Axiom distribution (yet).

> Any help is appreciated.

Start at step 1. :)