RE: [Axiom-developer] problems with accessing wiki.axiom-developer.org

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] problems with accessing wiki.axiom-developer.org
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:58:05 -0500

Here is short update on the status of the axiom-developer.org
server.

I just talked to Tim Daly by telephone. Note: Tim's email is
also inaccessible because it is hosted at the same server.
Apparently RoseHosting called him to explain that there had
been a RAID controller failure on this server. It will take
2 or 3 hours to get the system operational again. Although in
principle a RAID configuration should be fairly fault tolerant,
RoseHosting was not able to re-assure Tim that they would be
able to restore the full contents of the virtual disk on which
the Axiom Wiki and Axiom Portal reside. At this point we can
only wait and see if it comes back or not.

Now the bad news: As many of you are aware, we do not have
current backups or a full mirror of the Axiom web site
although there are some older copies of the Zope database that
have been copied to other sites. If RoseHosting cannot restore
the virtual disk to the state it was in when the hardware failed
we will likely be in a position of having to piece the content
together again from incomplete sources.

This is a consequence of both inadequate resources and minimal
funding. (Tim has personally paid for the entire cost for the
axiom-developer.org site for the last 2 1/2 years.) So, this
problem brings up the question again about how to best to support
this sort of service for Axiom. If we (collectively) are convinced
that this sort of web site is important for Axiom, I think we
need to make a plan to prevent this sort of problem in the future.

The Axiom Wiki and Axiom Portal web sites were originally only an
experimental prototype that grew into a "production" system without
any proper planning. So this might also be an opportunity to plan
to re-implement the server in more up to date software and in a
properly documented fashion.

I will let you know more as/when I hear it.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. :)