[Axiom-developer] Re: [AxiomDownload]

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [AxiomDownload]
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:15:15 -0400

> Please let's reduce all this confusion. Suppose you are new to Axiom
> knowledgable in CVS and you want to contribute code to axiom. You look
> at FrontPage. AND THEN???

You should be able to fetch from tla or cvs and always get the latest
version of the system. I don't announce a new release until I've
"round-trip tested" (upload-destroy-download-compile-test) the sources.
There should be no confusion.

The actual, official state of your copy can be determined by looking
at the topmost entry in CHANGELOG. EVERY change to the system has a
journal entry in this file.

As for the SVN procedures that's really up to Gaby and the community
to decide. I have no opinion about it.

My mode of working will continue to be hand-merging (Naur) patch files that
get sent to me. If the group creates a silver branch that contains items
to be promoted we need to work out how this can be done. I should note
that it is vital to document the reasons for changes. I have been struggling
to merge Camm's debian changes because they don't have any documentation.

If I don't understand a change and can't test it I certainly won't merge it.
Otherwise the code quality "gets away from me".