Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom opportunity

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom opportunity
Date: 26 Apr 2006 20:05:27 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

| >>  But I would
| >> like Axiom to be better than that; that is the reason why I talked to
| >> Benjamin Kosnik about distribution when we met two-three weeks ago.  See
the
| >> "cross compilation issue" in another thread.
| >
| > RedHat *requires* cross-compilation capabilities. I'm not sure Axiom
| > is able to do that.
|
| Cross compilation?

yes; for many reasons, people cross-compile programs/packages from one
system to another one.

| Axiom builds on all of the 12 (?) debian systems.
| It is even rumored to have built on the Zaurus 6700 (a PDA).

yes, still that is not the same as cross-compiling.  As you know,
building natively assumes that one has access to the system and all
required tools ate already there.  That is nto always the case for
distribution and packaging people.

The issue is whether we find it important to have Axiom included in
major linux distributions or whether we should tell people "just
compile it by yourself"?  My opinion is that we should work on Axiom
to get into the first option -- but that requires agreement from all
of us before investing time in it.  That is not abstract talk (David ! :-)

| All of that effort is due to Camm. Unfortunately his tarball of
| patches are all undocumented so I have no idea why those changes
| are necessary. I'm reluctant to make changes without understanding.

Do you have link to those patches?

-- Gaby