RE: [Axiom-developer] NOWEB

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] NOWEB
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 12:43:47 -0400

On Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:01 PM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> Tim, you complained about the speed of NOWEB...
>
> Here a copy from noweb-2.11/src/INSTALL...
>
> To build noweb:
>
>    1) First point to compilers to be used to built the tools and
>       library by setting these variables in the Makefile:
>         CC         the name of an ANSI C compiler
>         LIBSRC          'awk' or 'icon', depending on which library
>       If you have Icon, use the Icon version of the noweb
>       library; this code speeds up noweave by a factor of 3.
>       The Icon versions have fewer bugs and provide more filters
>       (e.g., convert LaTeX to HTML in documentation chunks).
>       Not all of the examples will work with the awk library.
>       If you have an Icon compiler and believe it works, set
>      `ICONC=iconc -f l' in the Makefile.  (Icon is freely
>       available from the University of Arizona, but the compiler
>       is no longer maintained.)

I have installed Icon on the axiom-developer.org server and it
seems like a nice neat little language ... but I am sure Tim
will say: "Oh horrors, yet another programming language!" :)

> I have compiled noweb like this...
>
> cd noweb-2.11/src
>
> export N=$HOME/software/noweb
>
> make LIBSRC=icon BIN=$N LIB=$N/lib MAN=$N/man TEXINPUTS=$N/tex
> ELISP=$N/elisp
>
> make LIBSRC=icon BIN=$N LIB=$N/lib MAN=$N/man TEXINPUTS=$N/tex
> ELISP=$N/elisp install
>
> Do you use icon instead of awk???

I have also build noweb this way (partly because I was at one
time very interested in the filter to convert from LaTeX to
HTML) and I agree that the version of noweb that uses the
icon library is much faster. I also hacked a while on the
LaTeX to HTML code written in Icon, but eventually I abandoned
that approach in favour of the current pamphlet file support
on MathAction that does not involve conversion of LaTeX to
HTML.