Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 10:51:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- Francois Maltey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Anyway, for those who absolutely can't wait to have something
> > better than the dos window, this might help.  I don't know how
> > to "special case" Windows cleanly in Emacs yet, so this version
> > is a one-off from the sandbox pamphlet for now.  I loaded it by
> > opening the file in Emacs, doing the byte-compile-and-load menu
> > option, switching to scratch, and then typing M-x axiom-mode.
> > Something cleaner is probably possible but that's how I normally
> > test this so I haven't figured out the clean way yet.
>
> Is someone try to run axiomacs.el in windows ?

I didn't think to test it while I had access to the Windows box.  If I
get another crack at it I can try - is there anybody here who has a
Windows box and is interested in Emacs+Windows?

I'm writing a new Emacs mode in which I'm trying to a) incorporate all
the features I might want b) add all the features needed to make it a
robust user environment for Axiom and c) do it in the "literate
program" style.  It's loosly based off of an earlier such effort by Jay
called EMaxima.  It was that file I was talking about with regards to a
Windows test, but it would certainly be worth checking yours too.

> I only use it with linux.
> I don't know if emacs functions start-process and set-process-filter
> are possible in windows.

Well, as of a couple weeks ago the mode I was working functioned using
comint.  I don't know about specific functions but the ones I used
seemed to work.  I have made updates since then so I don't know what
the Windows support status is right now.

> Axiomacs.el does the exchanges between emacs and axiom with *.input
> files.
>
> So I can use multi-lines blocs command, as in an *.imput file,
> and at the end I can save interpreter sessions.

By the latter do you mean something like:

(1) -> integrate(x^2+x^3+x^4+
x^5+x^6, x)

If there is a desire for this I might be able to devise a way to do it
inside Emacs as well.  Maybe counting carriage returns and searching
forward that number of returns - 1 and then a last one to find the
end... Hmm...  Would need to rebind the return key to its original
purpose and use \C-[return] for axiom-eval...

> There is an old version on wiki.axiom-developer.org,
> and I can send my current version if someone wants it.

Maybe you could update the one on the Wiki?  That would be quite
interesting.

Francois, if you get a chance could you try out my attempt at an Emacs
mode and see what you think?  I expect it doesn't have all the features
yours does but I'm trying to gradually build it up.

Cheers,
Cliff