[Axiom-developer] Re: Lisp may not be dead, but...

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Lisp may not be dead, but...
Date: 18 May 2006 11:00:24 +0200

that has been posted to comp.lang.lisp as well.

Dear all,

I just read Kenny Tiltons mail that LispNyc is still looking for mentors, and I
was thinking...

Well, as you all know, I still hope that someone is going to improve the
interpreter currently available in Axiom to make it understand at least some
parts of the Aldor improvements: treat types truly as first class objects,
allow dependent types, ...

To be honest, I think that given that Aldor becomes free, I think that Spad
should die as soon as possible. In fact, it will die pretty soon. The Aldor
libraries are by far superiour. I'm not going to write any more spad code and
I'm just about to port my stuff to Aldor.

Although currently Axiom is quite lispy, this will change dramatically when
Aldor becomes truly open source. Aldor is written mainly in C, I believe. Yes,
it is able to compile to lisp, so why not keep the Axiom interpreter in Lisp?

PLEASE! (I know it's a difficult job, I cannot do it, but maybe there is
somebody out there with the appropriate knowledge...)

Martin