[Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor translations

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor translations
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:40:55 +0200

Do you think it would be a bad idea to produce a symbolic library for
Axiom and make it available to C programmers by simply targetting C
as the Aldor output?

No, if it is indeed as simple as that.  I didn't realize the algebra
code in Axiom could be made to work without the interp behind it - I
think that was the incorrect assumption I was making.

Well, it is like calling functions from GMP, only that the Axiom library would provide some symbolic algorithms.

However, we first have to translate the Axiom library to pure Aldor. Currently it relies on some features of Axiom that I haven't yet figured out.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the same behavior of the code
in two different language translations, but I guess that is up to the
Aldor system.

He? Where do you see the problem? The Aldor compiler (ehm, actually FOAM) was designed to translate well to LISP and C. The compiler probably provides different runtime systems for LISP and C, but that is a problem of the compiler not of Aldor.

All the best
Ralf