Re: [Axiom-developer] Front page esthetic

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Front page esthetic
Date: 01 Aug 2006 03:32:32 +0200

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

| Antoine,
|
| Thank you very much for the comment. I have made some
| changes and look forward to further suggestions.

Hi Bill,

  I find the front page of Axiom quite "visually heavy" -- and many
times I miss there the information I'm looking for.

  So, I took a look at few free software or open source computer algebra
systems, to see what other people are up to.

   http://maxima.sourceforge.net/
   http://yacas.sourceforge.net/
   http://www.singular.uni-kl.de/
   http://turnbull.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~gap/

All of them appears to me to be quite simple -- and I like that
simplicity.  Especially that of Maxima.  It takes very little time to
display -- compared to Axiom's.

Important to me is that the front-page must send the message that this
is related to research.  Yes, we have links to workshops and all
that.  But, most importantly, links to reserach papers related to
Axiom must be clearly and unambigously linked from there -- I sent a
message to axiom-mail to that effect but for some reasons it never
shows up :-(

My suggestion would be to simplify the "visual load" of the
front-page.  I know that sounds a bit unhelpful but it is a start of
suggestion :-)

People should be able to find the exciting/appealing things about
Axiom from its front-page.  We should not require them to "dig through".

To my mind the description of Axiom should should mention application
to engineering, computer science -- not just Physics or Mathematics.

HTH,

-- Gaby