Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion
Date: 02 Aug 2006 12:45:13 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| Hi Gaby,
|
| your working times are remarkable. Aren't you in Texas? ;-)

Yes.  One nice thing about having a baby who is growing a tooth is
that you for sure will be awaken some nights :-)

| I have seen that there are now also ChangeLog files under
| axiom/src/doc and axiom/src/boot. Is it common to have *not* just one
| top-level ChangeLog? Now I am getting confused of where I should enter
| my changelog stuff.

I believe both ways of doing things are common; I have a slight
preference for a ChangeLog file in each directory -- having practiced
both ways.  That way I don't have long file names eating up all space
just to give me little clues.

For the Silver branch, you will find a ChangeLog file in each
directory (almost).  Juts put your descriptions there.

For the branches, it is actually more practical to have a different
ChangeLog files -- the convention I use is ChangeLog.<branch-name>.
There are several paratical reasons for that:
  (1) avoid spurious conflicts when merging;
  (2) a glance at the file gives an overview of changes made on
      the branch.

Ah; I've just finished the "./configure && make && make install" stuff.
I'll commit after testing.

-- Gaby