Re: [Axiom-developer] /dev/null, noweb and Axiom

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] /dev/null, noweb and Axiom
Date: 14 Aug 2006 21:02:26 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > | The guiding principle in this case is that
| > |
| > |   Axiom never writes outside its own directory
| >
| > This *is simply untrue*, at least if you build Axiom+GCL.
|
| it is untrue?

Yes, GCL's configure redirects to /dev/null.

Frankly, the Autotools guys have faced more exotic systems than Axiom
is likely to ever face.

[...]

| and every single system has /tmp but we don't use it.

That really it is very different issue.  /dev/null *is* special.

[...]

| the current ${TMP}/null works.

No, it does not.  After noweb is built, have a look at ${TMP}/null; is
that what you were expecting?
On all my builds, I see elisp file for emacs support for noweb.

| why change it?

it does not work and it is mostly pointless.

| Father O'Daly.
| Chief Cleric and Wearer of Strange Hats.

:-)

-- Gaby