[Axiom-developer] Re: Help/Guidance/anything...

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Help/Guidance/anything...
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:30:39 -0400

Bill,

Time is something that should be freely given ... :)

  Yes but I do not want to burn that bridge. :-).

I think what Tim is talking about is more similar to the Sage Notebook
interface than it is to MathAction. MathAction does not use a "live"
Axiom process running in the background. The only interaction with
Axiom is during 'Preview' and 'Save'.

  Well then I guess it should be a combination of both. The drag and drop seems
  more static to me in the sense that you just drag and drop a pamphlet it
  is processed and added to the wiki.

AJAX (XMLHttpRequest etc.) might still be very useful in MathAction
however in order to reduce the network traffic during a preview
operation, for example.

  Then we can have something like SageNotebook ( http://toolbox1.sytes.net/~alfredo/axiomui/ ) or if the  efforts of adding
Axiom to Sage goes well then this can be used.

This latter suggestion is possible and is very similar to the method
used by TiddlyWiki. See also Bob McElrath's version of TiddlyWiki
with the jsMath and Axiom interface.

http://bob.mcelrath.org/tiddlymath/tiddlyjsmath.html
http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath

I think that for personal use (maybe even in Doyen) this is a
very nice wiki model.

 I will look into it.

Also if you haven't already done this, I think you might find it
useful to go back and review the early part of the discussions on
the AxiomUI project with Kai Kaminski about this time last year.
Check the axiom-developer archives.

  I think I read it a long time ago, but I will go over it again.

Perhaps it is appropriate to ask: What else besides just copying
the source text would we want the browser to do in this case?

Tim is thinking about updating a local installation of Axiom with
some new packages, tests and other files. It seems to me that in
the current Doyen/MathAction model this is best done by the
pamphlet mechanism in the wiki server, not in _javascript_ on the
browser. E.g. one might imagine adding 'Build' and 'Run' commands
to supplement the existing 'tangle' function on the Pamphlet
thumbnail page so that it also becomes a kind of collaborative
web-based IDE (which also works local as Doyen).

  I agree with you that the current pamphlet mechanism should be the
way to go.

Again from my point of view this functionality is best implemented
on the server side, not in _javascript_.

  Server side it is.

  Thank you for taking time to answer my demands, I mean my questions. :-)

  Regards,

  Jose Alfredo Perez