Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image
Date: 30 Aug 2006 10:35:53 -0400

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> Gaby,
>
> On Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:27 PM you wrote:
> >
> >   GCL-2.6.9pre, checkout of cvs as of this morning, has problems
> > making new lisp image.  More precisely, the instruction
> >
> >      % echo '(compiler::link nil "foo")' | gcl
> >
> > has GCL die with the message
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Error: Cannot open the file
> > /home/gdr/lib/gcl-2.6.8/unixport/../xgcl-2/sysdef.lisp.
>
> I am not sure if this is the right track or not, but this error
> does not occur if you build gcl with '--enable-ansi'. I believe
> that this option is used on the Axiom Debian build which uses
> a pre-installed gcl.

THe reported error should only occur using the Debian way of building
aciom.

I believe the first problem you will encounter with the ansi image is
that ansi triggers an error if an (in-package ...) is encountered
before the corresponding (make-package ...), whereas the older
standard implied the latter with the former.  There is some file
earlier in your log which failed to compile is my guess.
Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to get all exits in the error
handler to return non-zero to the shell to abort the build immediately
at sign of trouble.

Do you want to use the ansi image?  GCL has kept the older one around
specifically for reasons like this.  Unless you are using oop, all you
get is extra unused image size.

Take care,